At least my last month in daily journalism won’t be boring.
On the Patreon:
• A short story titled “Dead Heat,” for patrons at $10 or more.
• Blog post: “Goal No. 1 – Unlocked,” for patrons only.
• A short story titled “Sisyphus,” one of my golden oldies, open to all.
• Photo posts of a double rainbow sighting ($5 and up) and the MoBot glass show. (open to all).
• A personal essay on “Life After News,” open to all.
I also posted this essay on meeting a group of Chinese journalists.
You can get all this lovely content by subscribing to my Patreon!
In the news:
• Feature: A son’s gift to his father: 16 more years of life and counting
• SIU board to vote on firing President Dunn
• SIU meeting to fire Dunn illegal, chairwoman says
• Board deadlocks on firing Dunn
• Granite City teacher resigns after allegations of affair with student
• Storm pummels metro-east; 45,000 without power
Also, a public statement as president of the St. Louis Society of Professional Journalists regarding Lindenwood University’s decision to stop printing its student magazine after controversial (and award-winning) stories.
And finally… I was not permitted to use puns in this story. I think the loss of income going freelance will be worth it simply to be allowed to pun in public.
ME: Am I allowed to say he got stuck with the bill?
ME: Sigh. Someday I’m gonna quack you up.
ME: Look, Leader Pub’s lead is, “One Six Flags patron apparently thought it was duck season.”
EDITOR 2: Are you sure it’s not wabbit season?
EDITOR: I’m about to declare a time-out.
ME: I’m not allowed to use puns. See? No puns in my story, and it is physically painful.
EDITOR 3: Since you’re leaving, does that make you a … lame duck?
ME: *points* How come he gets away with that and I can’t make a single pun??
EDITOR: I gave him the side-eye glare.
Just a quick update that I’ll be signing and selling in Kansas City on Saturday, June 30. Many thanks to Contra Mini-Con 29.5 for hosting me as part of their event! I’ll have books in stock to sign and will be bringing art prints; if there’s something specific you’d like to have, please message me in advance and I’ll see what I can do.
Keep in mind that several of my novels have gone out of print due to publisher bankruptcies, so at the moment all I have in stock are the three in-print books: Setting Suns, Nocturne Infernum and Moonlight Sonata. I’m a little low on SS, so if you want one, reserve it fast.
As a side note, if you’re looking for my out-of-print books like Dreadmire, The Cold Ones or Blackfire, the only store I’m aware of that still has stock is Afterwords Books in Edwardsville, Ill. They do mail-order, hint hint.
I haven’t been to Kansas City for at least a year, and haven’t done a signing there since I was GoH at Contraception several years ago. I’m hoping to scope out some photo shoots while I’m there or en route, so if you have suggestions of good locations, please let me know!
Full details on the signing are available on the Facebook event. Hope to see you there!